Friday, December 16, 2005

My Idol - Darren Hayes

Yet another boring day in life. the mind does not respond to the fact that i have to finish this executive summary asap. I try different things. I lock myself in a room, see the same plan again and again to get the executive summary perfect. The coziness of the chennai climate and my eternal laziness form the perfect combo, as i remain blank, unable to add value to the report.
Darren hayes is slowly penetrating into my body, mind and soul. I lie down, totally clueless.


guess just the right kind of atmos to get another blog on the wall. and Darren takes it all.

Darren Hayes came into my life just as i was finishing my engg. it ws not to be just another pop artist in my life. I listen to a bit of carnatic (thanks to appa and paati), a bit of movie songs (mostly A.R. Rahman) and then some english light pop songs ( no rock songs).

Music is sth i usually listen to free my mind, just as anybody else does. But Darren Hayes was meant to load my mind. like ppl take to drinking occasionally.

A bit of history. Darren Hayes is an Australian Pop Singer, a former singer of the famous band " Savage Garden" along with Daniel Jones ( the lead guitarist). They had some problems about three years back or so. Daniel wanted to get into admin stuff of the band Darren wanted to lay more stress on music. Finally they had to kiss Good Bye .

so why Darren was special to me? I have been listening to a lot of these chocolate pop bands. I keep listening to these kind of lyrics - If i let u go, I wanna be with u , I love u and more of such crap. to write abt love is what even Darren does. but theres a passion, a fire, a thought and a real feeling. the fever of his mood used to spread to me many a times. and love is not the only thing. he touches every whisper of life.

The music is , more towards techno. but techno music is not that easy if u want to explain the feeling of a mood and a song in the way that it shd be. ofcourse guitar is the key component here too. I am not trying to compare with Pink Floyd or Dire Straits. they have had their own brand of music. they were geniuses. agreed. but here was a guy, who had a really amazing voice and a way of letting these inside emotions explode. The malleability of voice is beyond imagination ( whats the music terminology, yodelling?). if u wd want to check out, thers no substitute for self listening.

I have maybe listened to just around 30 odd songs of his. the latest album being, " Tension and the Spark". I have downloaded all lyrics and usually read it as he sings. and for me, every song , in that manner, was not abt humming a tune, it was an experience in itself.

My favourite songs ( my fav will be more lyrics based than the music itself) include
Tension and the spark - I like the way, void, Light, Unlovable,
Affirmation - affirmation, crash and burn, You can still be free, Gunning down romance, Animal Song.
Spin - Like it or not, Good enough, What u like
Savage Garden - part one - Universe, To the moon and Back, promises , carry on dancing etc

Just to give u a feel . In his song, "Light" - He points to the stages of light inside every life as : Light first flickers, then blisters and finally glitters. the lyrics are subjective and one can draw their own inferences depending upon their interpretation.

The deathly pale effect of his music adds to the lyrics in leaving u in a state of enigma.

In his song " Affirmation" he lists out his beliefs sth which every one will mostly agree, that are a very touching part of our own lives. He sings " I believe in Karma, what u give is what u get return; I believe that we place our happiness in other people's hands "

In " Gunning down Romance, one can see the way he portrays love . not just another goody goody kind of thoughts. more satire. more pain.

He starts as " Love and other moments are just chemical reactions in ur brain; feelings of aggression are the absence of the love drug in ur vein; "

"Unlovable" lyrics can be aptly said as the height of frustration; his agony knows no bounds.

In " I Like the Way" , for eg, he starts with " Somewhere inside my evolution, Karmically I seek retribution; Looking for love in physical beauty, Desire is the drug of the Bourgeise "

and he further writes
" The decadence of giving into desire, creates such entropy within;
Looking for love in spiritual faces, blind to the art of fabrication "

and finally ends as " Temptation tempts the temptee" !!!!


lots more to say on each of his songs. i have a summary to finish. time i quit this board and get into that. Listen and feel Darren, and u will not be left barren, for sure!!!!

the simplest way to reach his lyrics is the golden world in web technology - GOOGLE








2 comments:

coolvir said...

Hey nice work.I too love him(in a non GAY way obviously).

Loved all his songs in savage garden's album "Affirmattions" specially all romantics one ;)

Aravindan said...

@bara,

hey i have yet to listen to last christmas! the diff between darren and others is - he does not just use bland love songs or hip hopsongs with techno music and his lyrics are totally different and philosophical.

Darren rocks....err....darren pops!!!!